Start a New Discussion

Discussions for Writers' Café
New Discussions Popular Discussions

mirthpro
Posted on
13-06-2013
by mirthpro

MARKETING TIP FOR GUIDE WRITERS

You can get a FREE listing for your guide in the TripAdvisor Resource listings, Miscellaneous category. Go here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/getlisted_resource.html

1285 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

mirthpro
Posted on
10-06-2013
by mirthpro

LINKING "LIKE" BUTTON ON MAIN PAGE OF THE GUIDE TO FACEBOOK

I'd like to have "Likes" on the main page of L.A. Made Easy accrue to my new Facebook page: www.facebook.com/L.A.madeeasy (a good way to build an audience without them leaving the L.A. Made Easy main page)

1. There is already a "Like" button (also heart icon) on the main page...i presume this "Like" is going to Guide Gecko's FB page? If not where is it going?

2. At the end of my description on the main page, I tried to paste in code to add a "Like"/FB icon linked to my new FB page, but it didn't take.

3. Suggestions?

905 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

mirthpro
Posted on
05-06-2013
by mirthpro

WE ARE ALL LOSING SALES FOR OUR GUIDES...

...because there is no link on our main page to download our book. Next to the title, there should be a link that says "Download Here". I suggest it should also be at the end of the description as well. And that link will take them directly to where the icon is on the Apps & eBooks page.

Some have told me they didn't know where to go to download the book, when on the main page.
The Apps & eBooks is perceived as a general tab (not clear that is where the reader should go to download), and makes the reader scroll down a list of guides, instead of being direct to the book icon.

988 Views     7 Replies     Post Reply

mirthpro
Posted on
07-05-2013
by mirthpro

PUTTING ALL LISTINGS ON ONE PAGE PER EACH DISTRICT WITHIN A CITY GUIDE

Case Study: I was told to go to Santa Monica Travel Guide (http://www.guidegecko.com/los-angeles/santa-monica-travel-guide/p,608175888) to "add text with in-text links" that would show up under "Want to see more?" on the Santa Monica Travel Guide page.

What I did: (On Santa Monica Travel Guide page) went to "Add Something" created new section "Santa Monica Getting Around" (http://www.guidegecko.com/los-angeles/santa-monica-get-around/p,608175888,160) clicked "Add Description" and as a test just inserted a link for Angel's Attic (confirmed live) but it didn't make the listing show up at the bottom of the Santa Monica Travel Guide page under "Want to See More?" Did I misunderstand?

915 Views     6 Replies     Post Reply

HalPeat
Posted on
16-04-2013
by HalPeat

Same problem perists: Not allowed to upload photos of any kind!

Why does this go on? I try to upload an image. No, I can't copy that message but it says "You do not have permission...." This is from a simple upload request on the very first page where it says "Upload Photo" at right. Something is terribly wrong here. No, I can't copy the message, it won't let me do that either!

948 Views     4 Replies     Post Reply

HalPeat
Posted on
11-04-2013
by HalPeat

Why can't I add more than one attraction?

I was able to add ONE attraction ("heritage trails") - take a look. Now when I try to add more attractions, it won't let me. I have several to add that need to be there as an attraction - water sport, historical and cultural interest, shopping. How do I do this. "Add something" button does not allow this, it only lets you do listings and articles.

735 Views     3 Replies     Post Reply

HalPeat
Posted on
11-04-2013
by HalPeat

How to add images from PC desk files or CD

I'm not allowed to upload images (of any size, it seems) from either my CD in my laptop or even just from a folder on my desktop.. I just get "You are not authorized..." messages. This is for the Description page so if I have a problem that early.

732 Views     3 Replies     Post Reply

HalPeat
Posted on
10-04-2013
by HalPeat

how do u add external links on a description page?

How? It blocks you from doing anything except adding internal links. It e won't let you highlight a word(s) and then create the link.

745 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

mirthpro
Posted on
25-10-2012
by mirthpro

NO "SPA/WELLNESS" LISTING

In my L.A. Travel Guide, there is no category for "Activities"...there is "Attractions" but no listing for "Spa/Wellness" under that. Please advise.

916 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

Fiona
Posted on
24-10-2012
by Fiona

Adding a district...

I've just added on a district to the guide like you said so. have a look... http://www.guidegecko.com/gokarna-town/ankola-travel-guide/p,608191455

( i know i should be adding eat/sleep sections separately, however there isn't much to write so its put onto one page).

1335 Views     4 Replies     Post Reply

travelwriterfromIndia
Posted on
23-10-2012
by travelwriterfromIndia

Some post publication queries

Hi Daniel,

There were certain areas where I needed some information!

Due to some issues with the Government of India, Kingfisher Airlines which was operating flights to Mysore, has suspended operations and is not flying on any of the sectors. This is likely to be a temporary problem, but unlikely to be sorted out within a month. Should I make the change on the pages of the Mysore Guidebook on the Guidegecko pages.
Also, in case I make additions or need to remove something, shall I make it on the pages of GuideGecko or how shall I go about it.
When there are changes, are they automatically reflected in the ebook?
I also notice that the ebook is being distributed by Barnes and Noble, WH Knight, kokobooks etc.Is there any way of knowing if there has been any sale?
Re: promoting the ebook, can you pl direct me how to provide the link to the main page on Guidegecko and the Guide Book? I had sent an article to Ezine on Wayanad as Wayanad is one of the attractions around Mysore which I have featured in the guide. I am attaching the link here http://ezinearticles.com/?Wayanad-in-Kerala---Paradise-in-Gods-Own-Country!&id=7317073..
Pll let me know if I should provide this link on the main page of Guidegecko and the ebook. Is there any other link that I should mention in subsequent articles!
Thank You and Warm regards,
Bhagyalakshmi.

1320 Views     4 Replies     Post Reply

mirthpro
Posted on
25-09-2012
by mirthpro

CANNOT EDIT POSTINGS

Daniel,

"Lock" function is not visible on the following pages:

Santa Monica Airport
http://www.guidegecko.com/santa-monica/cultural-centers/santa-monica-airport/p,608191419

Santa Monica Museum of Flying
http://www.guidegecko.com/santa-monica/museums/santa-monica-museum-of-flying/p,608191418

Morgan-Wixon Theater
http://www.guidegecko.com/santa-monica/performing-arts/morgan-wixon-theater/p,608191420

It only seems to be true for these ones I just posted.
"Add Something" and "Edit Title" are not visible either.

Please correct

1077 Views     4 Replies     Post Reply

mirthpro
Posted on
22-09-2012
by mirthpro

ADD TO HEALTH & SAFETY SECTION

Would you add a category titled, "Community Clinic" to this section?

943 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

Kononov
Posted on
02-08-2012
by Kononov

Add a hotel

Sorry for may ask.
In Dnepropetrivsk I cunt add hotel.
Correct destination - yep.
Correct list - Hotels & Sleeping - yep.

Add hotel - nop.

Advice plz?

1286 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

Penguin
Posted on
05-07-2012
by Penguin

No edit button on my Karoo listings.

I am trying to finish the Karoo travel guide, (Unfortunately lost all the photos and had to send somebody to reshoot.) But there is no edit button on any of the listings. My Okinawa listings still allow me to edit. I am busy writing the final descriptions offline so should be finished by middle of next week if I can upload the info. Photos are fine. But I can't place things on the maps either.

1088 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

matthewrhamann
Posted on
21-06-2012
by matthewrhamann

Switching Options

I originally signed up for Option A and a day later realize that I'm inevitably going to need to use Option B for greater customization Sections. Is it possible to switch and how do I go about doing that?

Thanks!

1023 Views     9 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
06-06-2012
by StCoCr

Budget level box

On Thailand pages such as this one:
http://www.guidegecko.com/bangkok/rattanakosin-bus-terminals/wat-arun/p,608170734
I should fill in the box "Budget Level."
Is there a standard I should be following?

965 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

RomanticDestinations
Posted on
23-05-2012
by RomanticDestinations

Browse window for uploading my photos

Had great success with uploading photos yesterday.
Now I am not getting the Browse to open up to insert photos.

866 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

RomanticDestinations
Posted on
14-05-2012
by RomanticDestinations

For a one title text, is it important to break it into two mapping sections?

There are two book entry links, this is 1 book with a combined Title of "Romantic Destinations - Napa & Sonoma Wine Country".
Is it important that I break it into two because of the mapping, or is there a way to combine this book as one as
I have written it under one title?? I could just use one of the addresses for the entire region.

Please advise,

Judith Rivers-Moore

790 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

RomanticDestinations
Posted on
11-05-2012
by RomanticDestinations

Entering a C publication

Having e-mailed twice (over two days) for a web address and page in the system for a C publication, I am concerned that I have been e-mailing a wrong address. The one I used is shown in the how-to guidance system for C publications in the help-publish2 section.

1028 Views     7 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
08-05-2012
by StCoCr

Maps: Please enter Type?

Daniel,

Every time I try to save the location of this park on the map, a box comes up asking me "Please enter Type."
What does that mean? What should I do?

Thanks,

Steve

919 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

RomanticDestinations
Posted on
08-05-2012
by RomanticDestinations

Begin to submit the e-book

Where in the website - does a person begin to enter their e-book information

1138 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

RomanticDestinations
Posted on
08-05-2012
by RomanticDestinations

cover dimensions

In creating a cover, what size works best for the Kindle books applications

878 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
28-04-2012
by nita11

Requesting a deletion

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the bother, but an article appears to be a repetition, and I can't delete it. May I ask you to please delete it? The url is:
http://www.guidegecko.com/karnataka/coorg-sightseeing/p,608168610,50

Thanks very much,
Regards,
Nita

1037 Views     6 Replies     Post Reply

Fiona
Posted on
24-04-2012
by Fiona

About Maps

Dear Daniel,

I've got many listings that come under 2 sections
for eg: (Amith Garden is in the restaurant as well as the hotel section)...
do i map it twice? If so how and wouldn't there be a confusion?

on another note can people right click and copy content and well as pictures from the website?

983 Views     4 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
15-04-2012
by nita11

Queries on Quiz questions, reviews and links

Hi Daniel,

I have just (finally!) finished the main content for the guidebook. Thanks again for all the help and support that made it possible.

Regarding the remainder:

1. Are 2 reviews (positive and negative) compulsory for every listing/article?
2. Can the quiz question be based on the text, or should it be a piece of info not mentioned in the content?
3. Should there be an external link for every topic?

Thanks very much!
Best regards,
Nita.

989 Views     4 Replies     Post Reply

goldwrtr
Posted on
09-04-2012
by goldwrtr

Creating an App

Can I preview my app without an iPhone or an Apple device? I would like to create an app, but I don't own an iPhone.

1002 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

Fiona
Posted on
31-03-2012
by Fiona

About pics!!

is it a must that the pics should be 1MB or more... i have some pics that are between 750 - 959 KB... are they aright to put in the guide???

thanks

892 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

Sarawaktravel
Posted on
14-03-2012
by Sarawaktravel

Delete a Listing

How do I delete a Listing?

1061 Views     5 Replies     Post Reply

Kononov
Posted on
22-02-2012
by Kononov

Trip to Ukraine

Hello :)
Was there anyone in the Ukraine?

888 Views     0 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
17-02-2012
by StCoCr

Overlapping entries

I began putting together my own entry for Bangkok's zoo:

http://www.guidegecko.com/thailand/amusement-parks/bangkok-dusit-zoo/p,608189894

and then noticed there was already a barebones one on the site:

http://www.guidegecko.com/bangkok/dusit-monuments-buildings/dusit-zoo/p,608171019

I want to make sure I get credit and AdSense for the page, so should I continue with mine, or expand the original one? One will have to be deleted in due course.

936 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

Fiona
Posted on
14-02-2012
by Fiona

add another listing??

i was going to add the hotels and in the listing there's no option for Beach Shacks... only hotels, resorts etc...
can u add it on??

1047 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
09-02-2012
by StCoCr

Green bar at top of text

I can't get rid of the green bar at the top of this article's main text. How can I erase it?
http://www.guidegecko.com/taiwan/monuments-buildings/shunsian-temple/p,608189824

850 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

Sarawaktravel
Posted on
20-01-2012
by Sarawaktravel

1 list with 2 section

Hi, I have this building 'Tua Pek Kong Temple' that falls under 2 sections, which are 'Heritage Trails' and 'Attractions'. How can I do so without the need to type everything twice?

1020 Views     3 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
19-01-2012
by nita11

Dealing with plagiarism

Hi Daniel,

I'd appreciate advice on a serious problem--a few of my travel articles (on Karnataka) published on yahoo voices (earlier Associated content) have been published verbatim on 2 other sites (by one person) and on 2 other blog sites.
1) Should I complain to the site owners or authors, or both?
2) Is there a format available for the notice/letter, or do I need to consult a lawyer?

Secondly, how does one prevent plagiarism? I'm apprehensive about the articles for my Karnataka guidebook being "lifted", even before I have a chance to finish it! Copyscape.com suggests "Defend your site with a plagiarism warning banner to warn potential plagiarists against stealing your content--Protected by Copyscape, Do not Copy".
Do you think this can be used here to safeguard the content? Are there any other measures that can be taken?

Thanks very much,
Best,
Nita.

1285 Views     3 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
07-01-2012
by StCoCr

Why so many broken links on my pages?

Since the launch of my app, whenever I go through my webpages I find broken links. This morning I found six or so, most of which I've fixed. It seems several of the "Koxinga" links (which should go to this page: http://www.guidegecko.com/taiwan/travel-tips/personalities-in-taiwans-history-before-1800/p,608184577) are now dud.

Any ideas?

828 Views     6 Replies     Post Reply

travelwriterfromIndia
Posted on
04-01-2012
by travelwriterfromIndia

Entries marked "not on the map"

Hi Daniel,
I have made the necessary modifications and included iphone photographs wherever possible. Re: the entries which carry the red mark"not on map" I have unchecked two of them and they can be removed. The others viz.Edelweiss Cafe, Fabindia, Guru Sweet Mart, Marina Packaged Drinking Water, Police Help for ladies, Police helpline, State Bank of India ATM and Apollo Pharmacy are listings which, in my opinion, will be very useful, especially to yoga students and travellers who are in Mysore for a reasonable measure of time. What do you suggest we do with them?
Thanks,
Bhagyalakshmi

1019 Views     8 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
04-01-2012
by nita11

Saving a location

Hi Daniel,

When I want to save a location (karwar) on the map, a message says: Enter the type. Not sure what that means and where it has to be entered!

Thanks

872 Views     6 Replies     Post Reply

Fiona
Posted on
20-12-2011
by Fiona

entering content...

i entered the first bit of my content from the link on my profile, however i cant seem to open that link or enter any more content or add pics to it. how do i go about doing it?

1080 Views     9 Replies     Post Reply

mirthpro
Posted on
20-12-2011
by mirthpro

helped _ people with his replies

...for the writer's cafe only? What about people we've helped who have written on our walls? Q's in the cafe are usually of a technical nature, something many of us are not well versed in.

861 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
13-12-2011
by StCoCr

hiding new entries until they're finished

My guide has 95 sights & attractions, and if all goes well, early next year I'll bump that up to 120+.

I can start work on some of those new sights right away, but I don't want unfinished pages spoiling the look of the whole thing. Can I hide those incomplete entries from public viewing?

3008 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

travelwriterfromIndia
Posted on
30-11-2011
by travelwriterfromIndia

iPhone photo and use as main image

Hi Daniel.
On checking with directions on how to upload photos, I am not able to find the word. "iPhone" and the link "use as main image", on the photo page. Can you please let me know where to find it in case I am looking at the wrong place.
Thank you,
Bhagyalakshmi

820 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

travelwriterfromIndia
Posted on
30-11-2011
by travelwriterfromIndia

iPhone photo

Hi Daniel,
You have asked me to make a table of contents for which I went to the list of "my articles". Almost every listing says no iPhone photo! I have uploaded some photographs. I would like to know what classifies as an iPhone photo and how do I go about getting it. Also can you please enlighten me on How to interpret the orange color under the category of words.
Thank you,
Bhagyalakshmi

806 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
21-11-2011
by StCoCr

Compiling the table of contents

I have downloaded the table of contents file.

1) It seems each chapter can have no more than 100 articles. What is the maximum number of articles in a chapter? Is there an optimum number?

2) For sights & attractions, is it best to group them according to location, or by type (eg museums all together as a chapter, architectural landmarks in another)?

3) In the table of contents file, many of the entries are very short, and don't even include the full name of the entry eg: "1,10, Personalities." The first number is the chapter number, right? I should amend this when grouping the articles, is that right? The second number indicates the article's position within the chapter, is that right?

4) Do I need to complete the article names or add the URLs where the name is incomplete and the URL missing?

Thanks!

940 Views     7 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
15-11-2011
by StCoCr

Correcting web pages

What are listed at the end of this page as transport companies are not. Rather, they are types of train. All are operated by the same enterprise (TRA). So it needs to be changed somehow.

http://www.guidegecko.com/taiwan/get-around/p,127144,160

844 Views     3 Replies     Post Reply

lindastein
Posted on
11-11-2011
by lindastein

General Questions on Heading Names, Map of an entire region

1a) Under Travel Guide, the listing is titled "Brooklyn Travel Guide" but this is really "Brooklyn's Best Pizza" which is what I have called it when you open the listing. Should the "Brooklyn Travel Guide" be renamed to "Brooklyn's Best Pizza". If so, how do I change?
1b) Also, under Guided Tours, the listing is titled "Brooklyn Guided Tours" but the name of the tour is "a Slice of Brooklyn Pizza Tour" and is shown when you open the listing. Should this also be renamed to the tour name? If so, how do I change it?
2) For the Brooklyn Travel Guide,there is a general map of Brooklyn attached but it is mapped to the center of Brooklyn. Is it o.k. to use a general map? I am not looking to pinpoint a specific location since it is about all of Brooklyn?
3) Under New York City Travel Guide (which is not mine), it looks like some of my restaurant photos are there (not sure if I posted them there by accident). Can you take a look and see if I did something wrong there?

Thanks much,

Linda

817 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

lindastein
Posted on
11-11-2011
by lindastein

Fact Section on a Listing

Hi Daniel:

I do not have enough room to add all of my info into Opening Hours and nearby transport in the Fact section. Is there a way to expand this?

745 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

lindastein
Posted on
09-11-2011
by lindastein

Glossary

Hi Daniel:

I added a Glossary to my travel guide but don't know where to post it. I posted it to "Good to Know" under Practicalities as that was the closest thing. Is there a better place to post my glossary?

842 Views     10 Replies     Post Reply

lindastein
Posted on
09-11-2011
by lindastein

Articles and Listings: No. 2 Uncheck entries you do not want to appear in your app

Hi Daniel:

I am writing a travel guide for Brooklyn under New York City. There is a New York City Travel Guide listed in my Articles and Listing section which is not mine. When I go to uncheck the entry, there is no way to save this and it keeps coming back. How do I remove the listing that is not mine?

Thanks,

Linda

768 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

Laurie Bain Wilson
Posted on
06-11-2011
by Laurie Bain Wilson

Publishing as entire guide rather than section by section

Why can't I upload my entire guide at once? It seems I have to upload it in sections (with publishing option A.) Isn't ther a way I can upload the whole thing at once (much easier) than piece by piece by piece. Thanks, Laurie

848 Views     7 Replies     Post Reply

Laurie Bain Wilson
Posted on
02-11-2011
by Laurie Bain Wilson

photo and payment questions

I have a couple of questions I did not see addressed. First, can the pix be a hotel stock image from a pr firm? Also, are the publishing options the same in terms of payment. In other words, do Option A and Option B offer the same 50/50 split in sales and in Adsense revenue. So, the author gets 50 percent of the $1.99 price as well as 50 percent of ad revenue? Not clear on this.

Thanks, Laurie

917 Views     4 Replies     Post Reply

Fiona
Posted on
01-11-2011
by Fiona

Publishing option

I joined yesterday and have chosen option A (web publishing), however i want to change to option C. (apps only) does anyone have an idea how to do this??

732 Views     5 Replies     Post Reply

katyrw@hotmail.com
Posted on
27-10-2011
by katyrw@hotmail.com

Ready to turn it into the guidebook

Hi Daniel,

I've finally finished the North Georgia Mountains and I think it is ready to turn into a guide book. I could not have gotten this far without your help. Thanks for all you did.

The cities should include
Blairsville
Blue Ridge
Clayton
Cleveland
Dahlonega
Dawsonville
Dillard
Ellijay
Helen
Hiawassee
Jasper
Mountain City
Sautee Nacoochee
Suches
Tallulah Falls
Tiger
Young Harris

Kathleen

650 Views     7 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
24-10-2011
by StCoCr

Entries missing from the country map

When I click on Sights & Attractions for Taiwan and the island map comes up, the total for the regional markers is 89 (25+9+16+38+1). However, there are 95 entries, and I've marked all 95 on the google maps. What about the other 6?

657 Views     3 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
22-10-2011
by nita11

Can't add directions

Hi,
Though the directions are back for the old listings, the direction box does not come up when I'm uploading new content. Am I missing something? Should I put the directions at the end of the description?
Thanks

1289 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
21-10-2011
by StCoCr

List of countries

On the main page, in the list of Asian countries, can you add Taiwan? My Taiwan guide is 99.9% ready.

696 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

travelwriterfromIndia
Posted on
12-10-2011
by travelwriterfromIndia

Request for some changes

Hi Daniel,
In the course of my checking the material and the links that I have uploaded in the Mysore Guide, I noticed a few areas which need correction. I tried correcting them myself but they do not lend themselves to correction. I have listed them below and request your help in making the correction.
1) The link that I had given to "Pizza Hut" in the article on COURSES goes to Pizza Hut, Padang, Sumatra.
2)When I click on the link to "Pizza Corner" in the same page i.e COURSES, the link opens to a page which says "DOES NOT EXIST".
3)The listing "Mysore Mylari" in page http://www.guidegecko.com/mysore/indian-vegetarian-restaurants/mysore-mylari/p,608187895 has to be deleted.
4)The name of the airport on page http://www.guidegecko.com/mysore/airports/chamaraja-wadiyor-international-airport-mandakalli-mysore/p,608187132 should read Chamaraja Wodeyar International Airport.
Can you please help.
Thank You,
Bhagyalakshmi (Travelwriterfromindia)

750 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

mirthpro
Posted on
04-10-2011
by mirthpro

Direction section wiped out...

I just noticed that directions to all my listings that are at the bottom of the page are missing, including the box to insert the directions. Please investigate, Daniel.

693 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
04-10-2011
by StCoCr

"How to get there" sections disappeared/invisible

The "How to get there" part at the end of each entry seems to have disappeared from all my entries, for the past few days at least.

653 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
04-10-2011
by StCoCr

Photos uploaded, but don't show on the main page

If you look at this entry, you'll see I have two photos uploaded:

http://www.guidegecko.com/taiwan/monuments-buildings/du-cheng-huang-temple/p,608186394

However, neither shows at the top of the entry, and neither show on the list of Taiwan Sights & Attractions:

http://www.guidegecko.com/taiwan/sightseeing/p,127144,50,3,0,0,0

What to do?

Steve

656 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

travelwriterfromIndia
Posted on
03-10-2011
by travelwriterfromIndia

Uploading doubts!

Hi Daniel,
As I was on checking my Mysore Guide, I found that two links: Kabini River Lodge and Bandipur safari Lodge from the "interesting Places around Mysore" page had got linked to the Karnataka Guide. I have rectified it by entering the URL link manually. However, on my further checks, I find that the material in my " courses" page viz. The information on yoga schools also appears under "courses" in the Karnataka Guide Page. I do not recall any confusion when I entered the link and I inserted the link in my page. Can you please let me know if all is well in my method of uploading or whether I should do something differently. Can I also trouble you to let me know uploading of the photographs is alright.
Many thanks and regards,
Bhagyalakshmi

961 Views     5 Replies     Post Reply

katyrw@hotmail.com
Posted on
28-09-2011
by katyrw@hotmail.com

Need some clean up

Hi Daniel,

I have a few attractions in the wrong place. I need your help with the clean up. Cherry Log is not showing as a city but a district. It is a small town not a district. Amicola Falls State Park and Kangaroo Conservation center need to be taken off Dawsonville, they are in Dahlonega. Need to move the art festival Mountain Fling from Blairsville to Hiawassee then add the little town of Suches and move the Indian Summer Festival to Suches. Also take out Fieldstone Resort in Hiawassee and Alpine Mall in Helen. Both are no longer in operation.

826 Views     5 Replies     Post Reply

katyrw@hotmail.com
Posted on
28-09-2011
by katyrw@hotmail.com

Back online

Hi Daniel,

You probably thought I dropped off the earth. I have been moving and had to wait a good while to get my internet turned back on. I have gotten settled in and am almost finished the north Georgia mountains guide. Just need to polish it a bit and get a few more pictures.

734 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

travelwriterfromIndia
Posted on
24-09-2011
by travelwriterfromIndia

Tourist Attractions around Mysore

Hi Daniel,
For the Mysore Guide, I would like to know under what category I should enter tourists destinations that are around the city of Mysore. These destinations are approximately about two and a half hours drive from Mysore,
Thank You,
Bhagyalakshmi (Travelwriterfromindia)

649 Views     5 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
16-09-2011
by StCoCr

Varying admission charges

One of the places I'm writing about hosts cultural events. Some are free, some charge quite high admission. What should I write in the admission column? "Varies"?

773 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

Penguin
Posted on
12-09-2011
by Penguin

Please Like my Karoo Travel Guide announcement

Hi all, I have very nearly finished my travel guide to Okinawa and will be heading to South Africa, my home country, for two months. My husband is going to be doing some family research for a week in the Karoo and I would like to develop a mini travel guide while we are there. Much smaller and more focused than the Okinawan guide. I have posted the link on Facebook and have had a few likes from that but would like to get the required 10 before leaving. So if you wouldn't mind having a look at the following page and hitting the "Like" button, I would really appreciate it.

850 Views     5 Replies     Post Reply

Daniel
Posted on
07-09-2011
by Daniel

I'm preparing an article - What do you want to know about creating, selling & promoting apps?

Hello iPhone App Writers (and aspiring ones!),

I frequently get asked questions such as "How much money can I earn from an app?", "How many app copies can I sell?", "How much effort is it to create an app?", "How many articles do I need?", or "How can I promote my app?"

Thus, I decided to write an article to answer all these questions. I will try to put in stats from our existing apps as much as possible.

Before I do this, I would like to know: What questions do you have? What topics should I cover in the article? Please post your suggestions to this thread.

Thanks!
Daniel

816 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

travelwriterfromIndia
Posted on
07-09-2011
by travelwriterfromIndia

Unable to upload photos

Hi Daniel,
I have not been able to upload any photos this morning. I have tried logging out and logging in afresh as well as restarting the computer. While there seems to be no problem with uploading text, the 'saving' icon comes on after I have uploaded the photograph and after a few minutes the sign "Error 2308" appears. Can you please help me out?
Many thanks,
Bhagyalakshmi.

692 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

mirthpro
Posted on
06-09-2011
by mirthpro

IMPORTING FACEBOOK FRIENDS

Is it possible to import my list of FB friends to Guide Gecko? Or does one have to invite them?

611 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

landcruising
Posted on
04-09-2011
by landcruising

Who doesn't want to watch a sea turtle?

Feeling terrible to have to do this, but is it wrong to ask you guys to go over to this page and give us some of your good loving and click on the like button?

http://www.guidegecko.com/french-guiana/app-announcement/french-guiana-sea-turtle-watching/p,608186875

Adventurous greetings,
Coen

824 Views     0 Replies     Post Reply

megantyson
Posted on
01-09-2011
by megantyson

adding/removing districts

Hi Daniel,

I know the districts can't be deleted on my end, so can you please delete the following districts?
1. Chevy Chase, Md
2. U Street Corridor

The first one didn't work well because adding the state didn't look right. And the second one I added because I didn't think it worked the first time. When I try to add districts to listings, it doesn't show up, so now I've ended up with the duplicate.

Let me know if this is doable. Thanks!

1031 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

mirthpro
Posted on
01-09-2011
by mirthpro

One more...

I'm obsessed with categories tonight! Under "Attractions" I'd like to see a category for "Historic District".

631 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
30-08-2011
by StCoCr

The maps have disappeared

All today the google maps for all my entries have been blank. Any ideas?

917 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

mazelv
Posted on
29-08-2011
by mazelv

What happened to my announcement?

I got the following link to my announcement but when I click on it I get a message that says it doesn't exist. I did delete some photos from the announcement and perhaps deleted the announcement as well. Help!

http://www.guidegecko.com/santo-domingo/guide-announcements/discovering-the-colonial-zone/p,608187767

883 Views     3 Replies     Post Reply

mirthpro
Posted on
28-08-2011
by mirthpro

Also....

I need to add a new category under Restaurant types: "Trinidad" Just ate at a place that serves food from the island of Trinidad.

825 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

mirthpro
Posted on
28-08-2011
by mirthpro

NEW CATEGORY

Under "Attractions" I think there needs to be a category titled "Landmarks". Angel's Flight Railway in Downtown L.A. is dubbed "The Shortest Railway in the World." It's a historic L.A. landmark that doesn't fit into any current categories.

804 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
26-08-2011
by nita11

Flickr photo as main image

Hi Daniel,

I am unable to use photos from flickr as the main image, since the message says photos have to be 800 pixels wide.
How does one do this/change the photo, if it is allowed.
Else, is it ok not to have a main image, (since the photo can be used anyway for the ebook and iphone)?

Thanks!
Best,
Nita

594 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

mirthpro
Posted on
24-08-2011
by mirthpro

PAGE LAYOUT

I suggest a change in layout to the travel guide main pages (Home page, Attractions, Restaurants, Shopping, Nightlife, Walks & Tours, People & Culture). It's a disconnect to place the ad links between the top of the page and where viewers want to go (the content). Could the ad links be moved to the bottom, or the right sidebar?

703 Views     4 Replies     Post Reply

landcruising
Posted on
23-08-2011
by landcruising

Likes and Likes with a heart

Okay, so I wrote my idea for an app on sea turtle watching in French Guiana. Promoted it on Facebook. People 'liked' it. But then those likes don't count because they haven't signed in on this website. I can see how you'd like to increase readership/ membership on this website, but is this the way to do it? I personally don't like asking people to register at a website that they are not interested in – even though they may like my app idea, and 'liked' it. I know I am not interested in signing up for a website, just to 'like' something.
I like the idea of needing a number of 'likes' before moving on, but not the request of signing up here.

How do others feel about this? How do you go about promoting without asking people to sign up here.
Daniel, any suggestions?

Furthermore I'd like to add that now that I can't move on with my app, I don't feel I have a reason to come here. Can't work on it, those don't have questions. Can't work on it thus can't get experience thus can and can't help others. So not really any interest in connecting here right now because I feel I don't have anything to add.

How to get moving again? Any suggestions, anybody?

1221 Views     14 Replies     Post Reply

mirthpro
Posted on
22-08-2011
by mirthpro

Shopping street

Under the Shopping category, I think there should be a sub-category called "Shopping Street." Every city has streets, not all well-known to the first-time tourist, where a variety of stores can fulfill virtually all of one's take home desires.

662 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
20-08-2011
by nita11

Information missing!

Hi Daniel,

I just uploaded and saved the general information on Karnataka "hotels and sleeping", as well as the external link--but it seems to have disappeared! I'm not sure what happened! Could it be a temporary glitch which I missed? Thought I'd check with you before uploading it again, in case it's duplicated.

Thanks!
Best,
Nita

766 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
19-08-2011
by StCoCr

Address, admission etc obscured by ads

I can't add address, admission, nearest public transport etc information because that section is obscured by classified ads on some of my pages, e.g.:
http://www.guidegecko.com/taiwan/monuments-buildings/cheng-huang-temple-lugang/p,608187029

853 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
18-08-2011
by nita11

Changing the order of photos and attribution

Hi Daniel,

A few doubts
:
1. Is there a way to change the order of photos, or do I need to delete and re-upload them?

2. I am getting photos from friends--is it enough to simply put their names?

3. The Karnataka tourist department says I can take photos of hotels from their official website--is that ok? Shall I put the url for the attribution?

Thanks!
Nita

581 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

Penguin
Posted on
18-08-2011
by Penguin

Add Toy Store to list of Money and Shopping

Hi there, I have added a traditional wooden toy store to my listings. I have added it under arts/crafts/antiques as all the toys are hand crafted wood. However, I think it would be a good idea to add Toy Store to the current list.

785 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

mirthpro
Posted on
17-08-2011
by mirthpro

Adding articles to city guide

Is it necessary to add articles to an extensive guide of attractions, restaurants, people/culture, etc.?
Seems many of the listings I've posted are quasi-articles.

Strange but true that I haven't written any articles about the city I'm working on (and where I live). If I did write articles for the guide, I'd prefer to write about things that don't fit under a subheader (e.g. "A Day in L.A." which begins with a recommended place for breakfast, museum, lunch, beach walk, dinner, jazz club). But where would I list it?

Your thoughts....

819 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

Penguin
Posted on
16-08-2011
by Penguin

Problem with web site

I am having problems entering listings. Only happened today. I have tried rebooting my computer but it hasn't helped.
I enter the information or map point and click save. Then it just hangs in saving mode. Also when trying to add to the description field there are no options to add links, bold, italics etc. Again even after I have typed in the description and click save nothing happens. So far today all I have been able to do is to make a new listing and add photos. Seems to be in all areas but the particular ones I have been trying to work on are http://www.guidegecko.com/kunigami/general-stores/oku-kyodo-ten/p,608187336 and http://www.guidegecko.com/higashi/sports/mangrove-kayak-tour-puka-puka/p,608187334

953 Views     7 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
16-08-2011
by nita11

Categories

Hi Daniel,

Just a couple of clarifications:
1. For my Karnataka guide, I'd like to write about the main souvenir items under "Money and shopping" (under souvenir store)--should it be a listing (since I can name just one shop in Bangalore) or just an article?

2. I'd like to put an informative article on "Handicrafts of Karnataka" under "People and culture" (where I've put articles on festivals and the special lacquerware craft/town). I hope the classification is ok.

Thanks and regards,
Nita

950 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

Penguin
Posted on
15-08-2011
by Penguin

Kayak tour

Hi there, would a kayak tour go under Guided tours section or Sports and Activities?
There is a tour guide with each group of about 4 or 5 kayaks. The tour leads up a river through mangroves. Explanations at various points.
If under guided tours then Boat tour? If under Sports and Activities then Other?

839 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

megantyson
Posted on
13-08-2011
by megantyson

adding restaurant categories

Hi Daniel,

Can you add a few more categories to restaurant types? I've come across a few that don't really fit the options:
1. pizzeria (to classify types like New York & Chicago style, that don't fit as Italian)
2. breakfast (all day breakfast specialty places)
3. southwestern U.S (unique to southwest, but not exactly Mex-American)

Let me know if we can get these up. Thanks!!

1056 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

Penguin
Posted on
12-08-2011
by Penguin

Adding a beer factory to Sights and Attractions.

I know that Brewery is listed under Nightlife. However, the Orion Beer Factory in Okinawa doesn't have a pub attached. Basically it just offers tours around the factory (calls itself a factory rather than a brewery) with one free beer at the end of the tour. I think it would be better as an option in Sights and Attractions. An alternative that might be useful would be under the guided tour section having a 'Factory Tour'. Let me know which you think would be better.

938 Views     3 Replies     Post Reply

mirthpro
Posted on
12-08-2011
by mirthpro

ADDING A NEW LISTING (to the drop-down box)

It seems a few months ago I was able to customize a new listing, e.g. for restaurant listings there was a place to type in "Shandong (regional Chinese)" then it's added to the drop-down box as a new category. I don't see where that option still exists now.

1169 Views     3 Replies     Post Reply

MBMartel
Posted on
11-08-2011
by MBMartel

Need a human voice...

Hello, I just wanted to speak with a human before submitting to be a travel writer for iPhone apps. I have a few questions and would like a point of contact person. Thank you, Mary Beth (305) 731-9308

www.floridakeysphotographer.com
ontheroadagainwriter@yahoo.com

738 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

katyrw@hotmail.com
Posted on
10-08-2011
by katyrw@hotmail.com

Some changes I need

Hi Daniel,
I am almost finished my North Georgia Mountains guide and see a few things I need changing. Cherry Log.is not showing as a city but as a district. It is a small town just outside Ellijay. I first put Amiciola Falls SP and Kangaroo Conservation center off the Dahlonega section as they are really in Dawsonville, they are in . Need to move Art Festival Mountain Fling from Blairsville to Hiawassee.And take out Alpine Mall in Helen as it is closed.

Kathleen

684 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

katyrw@hotmail.com
Posted on
10-08-2011
by katyrw@hotmail.com

What if I cannot get photos for some places?

Hi Daniel,

I am almost finished uploading info for the North Georgia Mountains guide but there are some places I cannot get photos for. I have contacted the CVB reps in those places and gotten no response. Can it get published without a few photos?

556 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

travelwriterfromIndia
Posted on
09-08-2011
by travelwriterfromIndia

How to add a listing of a different type?

Hi Daniel
Under the section on Health and Safety, I want to add listings to a few chemists. However, the only types of listings given are Dentist, Doctor and Hospital. What do you suggest should be done to include location and details of chemists, which would be really useful for travellers?

1109 Views     5 Replies     Post Reply

rachelwebb
Posted on
04-08-2011
by rachelwebb

Where can I Find a List of the Entries I´ve Made?

I can´t seem to find anywhere the entries I´ve done, is there a list of all my listings so I can review them?

971 Views     19 Replies     Post Reply

rachelwebb
Posted on
04-08-2011
by rachelwebb

Editing Tools not Working

My editing tools don´t seem to work. Or is it me? I´ve tried to use the italics, bold, link and headers but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone advise me please?

1091 Views     8 Replies     Post Reply

dartm00r
Posted on
03-08-2011
by dartm00r

General feedback

Hi
Just wanted to get some general feedback on my Washington State guide which is slowly creeeeking towards completion. Any comments/criticism would be welcome!

875 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

Annikaako
Posted on
01-08-2011
by Annikaako

Need assistance

I am new here. As I am a poet first even before I am a travel guide, I would like to be assisted with the process of getting published here. No words could express my gratitude.

april mae berza

840 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

megantyson
Posted on
29-07-2011
by megantyson

Mapping a Listing

How can I map a listing if I forget to do it on the first round? I tried to go back to map some listings, but the "Map it" option disappeared. So now, these listings don't show up on the main map.

Can you please share with me how to get these mapped? Thanks!

668 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

ziggy m
Posted on
29-07-2011
by ziggy m

Public views vs Apps Sold

I'm confused...the texts that I've entered are accessible to anyone, so how does it end up in an app and get sold? I stopped entering my guide until I fully understand what's public and what is sold as an app...

http://www.guidegecko.com/dubrovnik/travel-guide/p,218154

1223 Views     6 Replies     Post Reply

megantyson
Posted on
26-07-2011
by megantyson

How do I include suburbs of a city?

I'm listing places that are just outside of my city, as it's all part of the greater metro area. How can I do this without hiding the places listed in the suburbs when you look at the overall city list?

Specifics: I'm writing about Washington DC, but there are many suburbs included in this in two different states. When I add them as a listing, I add the separate city so the map (and the tourist) will have the correct location. But when I do this, the only way to access the listing is via the map, and it doesn't show up in the list page since it's a different city and state. How do I get these places included as part of the same destination rather than their own, unfamiliarly-named destinations?

693 Views     3 Replies     Post Reply

Daniel
Posted on
23-07-2011
by Daniel

How much can I earn with my travel website?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that we have a brand new FAQ on how much you can earn with your GuideGecko travel website. It also has some powerful tips on how to increase your revenues.

Please see here: http://www.guidegecko.com/help-publish2#website-earnings

Comments are welcome, please post them here!

626 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

mirthpro
Posted on
22-07-2011
by mirthpro

Posting larger photo

I am reviewing the restaurant photos and replacing those of poor resolution. However, the replacements are not showing up in larger size in the "All Restaurants" Directory. How can I post them?

849 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
21-07-2011
by nita11

Editing quick review points

Hi Daniel,

Is there a way to remove/edit the negative and positive points for the quick review section?

Thanks very much,
Nita

835 Views     4 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
21-07-2011
by nita11

Removing an external link

Hi Daniel,

Sorry I posted a query re.removing/editing external links elsewhere, and missed your reply to a similar query. here.

If possible, I'd like to remove the second link www.livingintothewild.com attached to

http://www.guidegecko.com/karnataka/chamarajnagar-resorts/k-gudi-wilderness-camp/p,608168804

It doesn't really make a big difference, but the content of the link is no longer specific to the article.

Thanks again,
Nita.

739 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

katyrw@hotmail.com
Posted on
19-07-2011
by katyrw@hotmail.com

Change a place name

can you change the name of a place for me.It's a Blairsville Georgia attraction. I have Hurbert Byron Reese homestead and it should be Byron Herbert Reece Farm & Heritage Center. It is not yet open to the public but is almost complete and will be open very soon. Most of the structures and parking lot are completed. They have a few more things to complete. Is it that okay to include?

626 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

katyrw@hotmail.com
Posted on
17-07-2011
by katyrw@hotmail.com

Problems on site

Sorry I pt this in the wrong place (locations I think) earlier. I am having a lot of problems adding material tonight. When I try and edit a description, instead of "edit" I am seeing "Add description" even thouth tere is a description already there. Then sometimes I cannot edit as it will not recognize when I put the cursor in place and click so i cannot get anything written or changed. I tried to use the spell checker in two different descriptions and that would not let me clck it open.

Another problem is when I am in a city and click on "Restaurants" or "Attractions" or any other heading the only thing that comes up is a map that may or may not have little numbered icons for the places I have already added. In the past there was a list of what was there and I could just click on "add something" to put in a new place. Now I don't know what is there or not and can't check since there is just that map, nothing else.

The only thing new or different is that I have downloaded Internet Explorer 9 but it works fine in everything elses. ( I have been using it for several days now) It's just tonight when I tried to work on my Georgia guide that I am having problems only in this site, so I don't think it is the new IE. Incidentally, the cursor works fine in this section.

705 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

megantyson
Posted on
15-07-2011
by megantyson

Listings on Map

I'm curious about if there are plans to change the format for listings? In my opinion, I feel that the map view is not very user-friendly at this time.

What I mean is if you go somewhere like the Los Angeles page and click on restaurants, all you see is a map with blue circles and green posts (http://www.guidegecko.com/los-angeles/restaurants/p,174083,60). The green listings make sense, but I can't figure out what the blue circles are for.

Ultimately, I think it would be beneficial that when you click on the "restaurants" page, you actually see the listing of the 65 restaurants, or at least see a large button to go to the listings. Right now, you can only randomly click on green bubbles on the map (which seems handy only if you know the exact neighborhood on the map you want), or click on the tiny link (hard to spot) on the right corner to "display all 65" (which I feel is vague and should say "Display all 65 restaurants" or something similar.

Anyway, just wanted to express that. Other than that, I the formatting of Guide Gecko is really good. Thanks!

729 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

megantyson
Posted on
15-07-2011
by megantyson

User-friendly listings?

Hi there,

Who is the primary target audience for these guides? Or at least, what's the biggest audience type using these guides so far? Age? Traveling from what country? Etc? As someone writing a guide in the US, would you say most readers are from the US? From Singapore? From all over?

I know there's flexibility with where and how to market these, but I think it'd really help to know the general prospect.

Thanks!

840 Views     3 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
12-07-2011
by StCoCr

How do I delete photos?

I need to delete a few photos. How do I do it?

716 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
10-07-2011
by nita11

Naming individuals

Hi Daniel,

While writing about hotels/activities, is it ok to include specific names---for example, when discussing the jungle safari program at Bandipur, I mentioned the best naturalist there. For the Halebidu temple, I referred to the tourist officer/best guide.

Thanks
Nita

687 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
10-07-2011
by nita11

Adding a quiz question

Hi Daniel,
Sorry, but am a bit confused about the quiz question.

1. Not sure what kind of question to add: should it be based on the content posted, or one for the reader/traveler to research and find out!
2. Is there a way to edit it later?
3. Should every chapter have a quiz question?

Thanks
Nita

854 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
05-07-2011
by nita11

Choosing the main photo and for the iphone--options missing

Hi Daniel,

When I click on a photo, there is only the "delete" option under it; I do not see "use as main image", or the iphone check box, as shown in the video. I need to replace many of my main photos, as they are cropped.

Moreover, it simply says "uploaded by.." but not the name of the author. The "edit" option is also missing!

Thanks,
Nita

891 Views     7 Replies     Post Reply

kenasosa
Posted on
04-07-2011
by kenasosa

I've Been There

I'm just about finished with my guide and I'm thinking that it would appear strange or unauthoritative if I don't put that I've been there flag and the like it heart on every single entry. Is there a consensus on this anywhere?
Also, if I feel I'm finished, do I just wait to hear from you or is there something else I should be doing?
Sorry if these are obvious questions....
Thanks!

658 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
02-07-2011
by nita11

Linking listings

Hi Daniel,
If two listings are related, can I add the url of one within the content of the other?
For example, when I've written about a resort (eg. Bandipur Safari lodge) which conducts safaris to a wildlife sanctuary (Bandipur national park) I've referred to the other with "see under attractions" or "see under hotels"!
Thanks very much!
Nita

927 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
02-07-2011
by nita11

Adding Information that is variable!

Hi Daniel,
While filling in the entry fees to wildlife sanctuaries in South India, I contacted government authorities to check, and was advised to leave the item blank, since the amount is constantly revised. The official site too is not updated, so there is lack of accurate information for some places.
How should I proceed--omit the information, or write whatever is available, though there's a danger of it being outdated at any time?
Thanks very much,
Nita

833 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
02-07-2011
by nita11

Locating places on the map

Hi,
I'm finding it very difficult to locate places (specially monuments and even wildlife parks) that are too small to be marked accurately on the map. Would be grateful for any help!
Thanks,
Nita.

642 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

nita11
Posted on
02-07-2011
by nita11

Editing a title

Hi Daniel,
Just realized that the title of a listing is inaccurate--can I edit it? if not, can I delete the listing and re-write it?
(Another title has a typo, so I need to correct that too).
Thanks very much!
Nita

639 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
30-06-2011
by StCoCr

StCoCr
Posted on
29-06-2011
by StCoCr

Entry names

A lot of places in Taiwan have very similar or identical names. For instance, hundreds of shrines are called Tianhou Temple. If I'm featuring just one of these, does it make sense to include the town or neighborhood in parentheses as part of the entry title, just to clarify things?

1083 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

TotalCroatia
Posted on
21-06-2011
by TotalCroatia

Daniel, can you delete...

Should have the guide done by tomorrow, been busy going through trying to get rid of some of the URLs I started out with - can you delete these please.

Also how to you edit/delete an external link.

cheers Paul

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/harbors/ferry-terminal/p,608185013

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/bus-terminals/hvar-town-bus-station/p,608185133

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/hotels/palace/p,608184992

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/jelsa-wineries/andro-tomic-bastijana-wine-tasting/p,608185430

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/svirce-wineries/svirce-wine-cooperative/p,608185428

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/jelsa-wineries/svirce-wine-cooperative-tasting-room/p,608185431

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/sveta-nedjelja-climbing/rock-climbing/p,608185391

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/milna-climbing/rock-climbing/p,608185392

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/stari-grad-climbing/rock-climbing-at-stracine-crag/p,608185393

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/climbing/rock-climbing-at-velika-stiniva/p,608185394

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/jelsa-croatian/paradiso/p,608185236

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/get-around/p,223149,160

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/work-study/p,223149,130

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/jelsa-religious-festivals/easter-procession/p,608185432

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/districts/p,223149,30

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/people-culture/p,223149,1030

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/hvar-town-police-stations/-38521741100/p,608185345

http://www.guidegecko.com/hvar/travel-tips/some-useful-practical-details/p,608185539

903 Views     9 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
21-06-2011
by StCoCr

How can we enter links manually?

I want to link one of my entries with another. The link I want doesn't come up automatically with the "parse links" function, so how do I add it?

598 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

TotalCroatia
Posted on
19-06-2011
by TotalCroatia

How to delete photos

Have uploaded a couple to the wrong destination and don't see the function to delete. Is this something we can do or does it have to be done by admin?

Cheers Paul

689 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

Penguin
Posted on
16-06-2011
by Penguin

Religious sites

Hi, up to now I have added religious sites to monument/buildings. This work for shrines, churches, temples etc. However, I now want to add a sacred, but natural area. It is one of the most holy places in Okinawa but is basically just an outdoor area with some spectacular rock formations and views. There is a visitors building at the entrance and it does fit in the "see" section.
Should I just add it to monument/buildings as I have other religious spots?

804 Views     4 Replies     Post Reply

TotalCroatia
Posted on
15-06-2011
by TotalCroatia

How to delete/rearrange locations

Making good progress with the bones of 300 listings up in the last 48 hours and should have it finished by Sunday. Daniel, if you could have a quick look to make sure what i have done is broadly correct, would appreciate it. A couple of questions:

1. When I started I added some locations which were not reconised by GPS (eg Island of Scedro rather than Scedro, hilltop villages). Can't figure out how to delete these.

2. When I started, I added locations as they came into my head, but would like to have a more sensible order (most popular first) - how to rearrange?

3. Can you explain how to add an external link? I don't plan on adding lots, but will need to add some.

4. Can you point me to the place where it explains about the revenue share on the adsense on the website that i have created?

That's it for now - back to building. Thanks for your patient replies thus far. Am getting better...

Cheers Paul

908 Views     6 Replies     Post Reply

katyrw@hotmail.com
Posted on
15-06-2011
by katyrw@hotmail.com

Not sure where to place something

I'm not sure where to place an activity. In North GA they are doing something called Stand Up Paddle which is sort of a cross between surfing and kayaking. See this link http://surfblueridge-sup.com/tours/
It isn't "seeing" and it doesn't fit any of the tours. Also I'm not sure where something like fly fishing, hiking the Applaachian Trail or kayaking will fit. They are not tours as you would not necessarly have a guide but putting them under "see" and then "nature/wildlife" doesn't fit exactly either.

876 Views     4 Replies     Post Reply

katyrw@hotmail.com
Posted on
14-06-2011
by katyrw@hotmail.com

New types of restaurant

I am seeing that several common types of restaurant are not listed. Cajun, Creole, (very different from Cajun if you are from Louisiana) Bistro, and Brewery (I know they make beer but in Georgia and most of the South they also serve food. Any way of adding them? Also I am runninginto places that are eclectic and do not specilize in any one style of cooking but have dfferent styles. Most common but not the only example is Steak and Seafood Restaurants.

801 Views     5 Replies     Post Reply

katyrw@hotmail.com
Posted on
13-06-2011
by katyrw@hotmail.com

A place in a tiny community near a city I am writing about

This is the second time I am having this problem. I want to include a restaurant that is in a small community and has an address different from the city I am writing about. This example is a restaurant in the tiny town of Morganton near Blue Ridge, GA. I don't want to include Morganton as it is too small to have much in it but would like to include the restaurant under Blue Ridge as it is special.

Kathleen

641 Views     7 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
09-06-2011
by StCoCr

Ideal size for photos

A photographer friend is contributing photos for my guide. He has to resize the images, which are currently all raw. What's the ideal size? How many pixels x how many?

657 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

Penguin
Posted on
09-06-2011
by Penguin

Could you please add a city to the list of Okinawan cities.

Could you add Nanjo City to the list of cities in Okinawa. It was formed in 2006 by merging Sashiki, Tamagusuku, Ozato and Chinen.

740 Views     4 Replies     Post Reply

kenasosa
Posted on
07-06-2011
by kenasosa

why add articles? Deleting entries?

I noticed there is space to upload articles. Are we
> supposed to be uploading articles we wrote for the guide, or existing articles
> found on the topic? Also, it doesn't appear we can delete entries at all. If I
> decide to no longer include one for lack of information, what would I do?

832 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

AnnaD
Posted on
02-06-2011
by AnnaD

selection of pictures

Hi,
why it's not possible to select the pictures for eBook, respectively, for iPhone application after posting the pictures during the elaboration process of the guides. I think when you do it after writing an article it's less time consuming than doing it at the end of the writing process, when you should make the selection for many posts...

623 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

Penguin
Posted on
02-06-2011
by Penguin

Can I edit the title of a listing.

I have the name of a restaurant wrong. I have listed it as two words Ishi Datami basically because it is only in Japanese Kanji. I have since seen that it is generally spelt as one word Ishidatami when translated to Roman letters. It is not strictly incorrect as two words, one is just more common. Is there any way I can edit a title?
The URL http://www.guidegecko.com/naha/local-restaurants/ishi-datami/p,608184709

841 Views     12 Replies     Post Reply

TotalCroatia
Posted on
02-06-2011
by TotalCroatia

Hi from Croatia. Q on Publishing Rights

Am almost done with my first guidebook, for the island of Hvar in Croatia. Am going to put publish through Smashwords and Createspace but wanted to do an App as well, so thought I would give Gecko a try. Daniel Q suggested I direct my questions here.

If I go ahead with the app here, the FAQ says I retain copyright, Gecko has licencing rights. In practical terms, if I decided I want to take my app elsewhere if I am not happy here, is that possible, or what is the procedure? Have only heard good things about this place, just trying to understand all before I commit.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers Paul

911 Views     10 Replies     Post Reply

kenasosa
Posted on
01-06-2011
by kenasosa

editing external links

How can I edit or delete external links? If I am still in the editing stage, I should be able to do this but haven't found a way.
Thanks,
Kena Sosa

665 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
31-05-2011
by StCoCr

Adding/amending captions

How can I add or amend a caption for a photo that I uploaded some time ago?

802 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

DeborahDinah
Posted on
30-05-2011
by DeborahDinah

Correct uploading

Am totally useless when it comes to tech computer matters and uploading has been a trial here for me.......! Anyone with a very simple ABC on how to do it please? Have - I think- added two pieces - Fast Food Easy Eating and Lunches............let me know if found!!!!!

962 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

Protourist
Posted on
23-05-2011
by Protourist

The name of my guide app was changed by Nileguide, can I change it to what I actually want?

I am starting my "The Professional Tourist's Guide to Munich", but I've hit a glitch in the system and don't know how to fix it. I go to what is supposed to be my website for the app, and it gives me http://www.guidegecko.com/munich/professional-tourists/p,268609,10062 …as you can see the title there is “Munich for Professional Tourists”, which is quite a different thing. I have spent several years of “branding” using “The Professional Tourist” as my brand….I am the Professional Tourist, it is not a guide FOR professional tourists, or I would only get 50 people to ever look at it. It is meant to be a guide for people who want the best information not from a guy who lives in Seattle (Rick Steves) or random backpackers who have only visited a couple times (lonely planet), but by someone who lives in the area, loves history, the culture, and still can feel like a tourist himself because of his outlook on life…as a professional tourist.

Is it possible to change the name to “The Professional Tourist’s Guide to Munich” as I had originally proposed?
I don't understand why someone changed it in the first place.

795 Views     5 Replies     Post Reply

Penguin
Posted on
20-05-2011
by Penguin

Where should I list a Karaoke place?

I would like to add a visit to a Karaoke House to an itinerary. I would assume it would go under the "Party" section but doesn't seem to fit any of the available options. In Japan Karaoke have there own buildings where groups can go into their own private rooms to sing. So doesn't really fit under "bar". You can order food and drinks from the menu too. Any suggestions.

817 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

Nwelp
Posted on
16-05-2011
by Nwelp

I need to know if I'm on the right path

So please, how do you like the idea of a Rio de Janeiro guide, written by a Carioca? I need to know if this guid is really going to be good or if people think it's not necessary. It's going to be abou Rio de Janeiro and I'm giving the tips necessary for tourists to come at Olympic Games and World Cup, with no need of travel agencies or hotels. By reading my guide, they will be able to come by their own.
Please visit http://www.guidegecko.com/rio-de-janeiro/guide-announcements/rio-de-janeiro/p,608184306 and click on the heart or like button, if you like my idea! Thank you in advance!

947 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
12-05-2011
by StCoCr

Best way to write "free admission"

For those places where there's no admission charge, should I write "Free" or "free" or something different?

667 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
12-05-2011
by StCoCr

Places that never close

Certain places e.g. parks never close. How should I write the opening hours? "24/7"?

683 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

katyrw@hotmail.com
Posted on
11-05-2011
by katyrw@hotmail.com

Multiple entry or not?

I am finding places that really fit under multiple types such as State parks with cabins or lodges and resorts with hotel and resturant. Should I list the place under both headings or just one and include information about both uses. Example: Dillard House is famous for their restaurant but also has a lot of cabin and a lodge as well.

746 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

travelwriterfromIndia
Posted on
09-05-2011
by travelwriterfromIndia

The technology of uploading the content

Hi,
I am almost ready with my content but I am not too sure on the technology of uploading it. Any pointers?
Thanks

767 Views     3 Replies     Post Reply

travelwriterfromIndia
Posted on
09-05-2011
by travelwriterfromIndia

How many photos?

Hi Daniel,
The aim is to get as many photos as one can for the guide! However, what is the minimum number required?

572 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

travelwriterfromIndia
Posted on
09-05-2011
by travelwriterfromIndia

Web Addresses

Hi,
I am working on a guide for a destination in South India and I have a query! Do I give the Web addresses of the various hotels, bus service providers etc.?
Thanks

781 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

karenpnz
Posted on
09-05-2011
by karenpnz

Can you see if people are searching for your potential iphone app before you write it?

I am not very familiar with iphone apps - is there any way to see what people are searching for (ie. like the google keyword tool) so I can ascertain if there is much demand my iphone app before I spend the time writing it?

708 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

karenpnz
Posted on
09-05-2011
by karenpnz

Can you actually make money from selling ebooks and apps on this site?

I have written an ebook posted on this site but haven't sold many copies. In fact I have only sold copies when I have posted about it on other travel websites. I am interested in writing more and am travelling again this year but need to make money as the guides take a lot of time to put together. I want to gather a realistic view of what is possible so here are my questions for guidegecko and other writers on here:

What is selling and what isn't? What ebooks and apps are selling well? How many copies are they selling? Is anyone making decent money for the time put in to write an ebook or app?

Which types of travel guides tend to have done best on the website and what kind of money are they making? How many copies are selling? How many are selling well?

What number of hits and unique visitors come to this site each month? Statistics please.

How are people selling/promoting - just through this site or other ways? If so what and what is working well?

How is guidegecko promoted? Do you do google adwords? How do you promote the website?

1134 Views     9 Replies     Post Reply

Zajigirl
Posted on
04-05-2011
by Zajigirl

Deleting a section and a district

I need to correct a title in a section I created and also to delete a district I added by mistake. How do I do this? Thanks!

582 Views     11 Replies     Post Reply

cyndi
Posted on
04-05-2011
by cyndi

Writing Itineraries

Hi!
I love what I see unfolding at GuideGecko! With my recent trip behind me and the suitcases put away, I've been turning my thoughts to writing Itineraries for you. As I review your site and app offerings, I have a couple of questions. The apps look wonderful in terms of interactive fun and style, by the way.

I don't understand why a traveler would be willing to purchase an itinerary when there is so much free information online and they can get a full guide from you for $.99. Frankly, I don't see that there is a way for me to be paid for my work. What is the price of an Itin? Are they popular? How does one buy just an Itin from your offerings?

Would you be kind enough to send me some links within your site so I can see how an Itinerary works from a traveler's perspective and help me with answers to my concerns. Thanks very much!
Cyndi

636 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

Tim Bird
Posted on
30-04-2011
by Tim Bird

Finding photos - a headache

Anyone else find that the photo side of things is the biggest headache? I am a photographer as well as a writer and I have lived in my guide city for more than 20 years, and I still don't have all the necessary images to place a picture for each entry for my app-destined guide. There needs to be a picture for each app entry, otherwise an empty holding box appears in the app. I have info on most of the entries without having to revisit each place but I'm finding that revisits are the only way to get the pictures for, say, restaurants and hotels. Very time consuming, and my guide could have been complete some time ago if it wasn't for this. The Gecko advice is to browse Flicker but the material there is often very poor and often inappropriate. I don't think there is a short cut solution this but perhaps the challenge should be made clearer from the outset so that would-be guide writers are aware of the requirement!

1126 Views     7 Replies     Post Reply

katyrw@hotmail.com
Posted on
30-04-2011
by katyrw@hotmail.com

town not in list

I am working on the North Georgia, U.S. area. There is a town that is not in the list of Georgia cities, It is Sautee+Nacoochee, located near and often grouped wiht Helen, GA. Still it is a seperet enetyand I am not sure of how to inclued places of interest located there. This is amapping link for it from Google maps.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rlz=1I7ACAW_enUS345US345&q=sautee+nacoochee+ga&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tlif130412342631610&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Sautee+Nacoochee,+Helen,+GA&gl=us&ei=IVi7TfNdw663B56hyLQF&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCUQ8gEwAA

Kathleen

794 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
29-04-2011
by StCoCr

Reading list and other background information

I want to add a reading list and other background sections e.g. details of major Taiwanese gods and goddesses, details of main religions in Taiwan etc.

Where/how should I add them?

474 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
28-04-2011
by StCoCr

Maps

The map for my entry "Zheng Family Shrine" is from the wrong city. What can I do about it?

631 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

bill@activelifestyle.com
Posted on
27-04-2011
by bill@activelifestyle.com

Please help.

I can not figure this out. Can U help please? Please reply to Amorn or Tai.

730 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

Spavalous
Posted on
24-04-2011
by Spavalous

Creating a guidebook

Does anyone know if there's a guide to posting a guidebook? Although I've been posting online content for two venues for several years, this site is not user-friendly and I cannot figure out how to post one article, let alone an entire guidebook. A step-by-step instruction is what I'm seeking. Anyone know if this is available? I'm about ready to throw in the towel, having wasted hours trying to figure this site out.

620 Views     5 Replies     Post Reply

Tim Bird
Posted on
20-04-2011
by Tim Bird

Quantity or quality?

I'm wondering how others are approaching the scope of guides, bearing in mind their eventual App format. My approach is to present a good cross-section selection of different kinds of restaurants, for example, rather than everything in town. If you download an App you want something for your money, but is it necessarily helpful to be too expansive? Are buyers looking for general descriptions and summaries or lengthy specifics? Any views?

959 Views     4 Replies     Post Reply

Zajigirl
Posted on
20-04-2011
by Zajigirl

Photo journals/multi-images

It mentioned in the Publishing Guide that the eBook will only have one image per article. However, I'd like to find out the possibility of your publishing a more graphics intensive eBook more along the lines of a digital magazine or flip book.

My partner and I would like to make that available too as we've been working on the visual layout as well as the content. And would like to offer that all with a one-stop shop along with the apps and the ebook guides.

378 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

Else Marie
Posted on
19-04-2011
by Else Marie

Adding content after creation

Is it possible to add pages, itineraries and focus topics on an ongoing basis once the app and website has been created, or does everything have to be in place at the same time from the beginning?

597 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

Else Marie
Posted on
19-04-2011
by Else Marie

Integration vs dedicated environment

I like the integration option, but I'm not very keen on the idea that others may edit my pages. Is the only way to avoid this to choose a dedicated environment?

440 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

mapleleaf1
Posted on
19-04-2011
by mapleleaf1

Tool for producing the iPhone Apps

The Geiko website enables you to publish PDFs or POD but I don't see the link for publishing to the iPhone or Kindle devices.

424 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

DavinaVB
Posted on
17-04-2011
by DavinaVB

Book Covers

Is there any way that we can go ahead and design a book cover before the guide is finished? I would like to promote my "Coming in July 2011" guide on my website...and think it would look nice if I could go ahead and use a picture with what the cover will look like. Thanks!

782 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

DavinaVB
Posted on
16-04-2011
by DavinaVB

Viewing a Guide

Can people see my guide as I am uploading it? Or is it published all at once? The link you sent me to start publishing looks like it posts right away, and I don't want to do that. Thanks!

947 Views     3 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
16-04-2011
by StCoCr

Photo doesn't upload

I tried to upload a photo. It came up with "saving..." and after 30+ minutes, still "saving..."

402 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
13-04-2011
by StCoCr

Chinese script re Taiwan

I have added some Chinese script to some entries. I want to make sure this is coming through loud and clear when read overseas (and not scrambled). Also, I want to know if the Chinese name of the attraction should be added to the general text, or to the headline/title.

434 Views     3 Replies     Post Reply

kenasosa
Posted on
12-04-2011
by kenasosa

How far is too far?

When you are writing a guide on a specific city or town, how far outside of that town can you go for attractions to include?

774 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
11-04-2011
by StCoCr

Address/opening hours

How can I input this information? I don't see any "edit" button that allows me to do so.

537 Views     2 Replies     Post Reply

StCoCr
Posted on
11-04-2011
by StCoCr

Fonts

Often I work offline and then copy-and-paste from a word file when creating a new entry. As a result, the font size and type varies from entry to entry.

Is this a problem? If so, how can it be fixed?

413 Views     1 Replies     Post Reply

Start a New Discussion for Writers' Café
Would you like to start a new discussion for Writers' Café? Our experts will give their best to answer.

Title
Please enter a title for the discussion.

Text
What would you like to ask or discuss?

Users for Writers' Café
14 4 3
Guru
The Guru

You receive points for adding & updating information
and for replying to Discussions.

You become the Guru if you are the user with
the most points for the place.

Daniel
Daniel