This brick-and-mortar fort was first built using bakau wood in 1786 by the British under Captain Francis Light at the site where they first landed.
The fort was upgraded in 1793 to its current state. Located by the sea at the Esplanade (Padang Kota Lama in Malay), the fort has a small lighthouse, a chapel, and a gunpowder bunker within its walls. Several old cannons (including one that is believed by some locals to have magical 'fertility' powers) can still be found at the fort.
There are also small displays of artifacts recovered from archaeological digs inside the fort. This well-preserved historical site is open to the public.